The centre point of attention in any home is the living room. It is where the family revolves, the guest sit, the children play and it is the living room that hears most of the laughter and cheer. It is a spot that makes an important area for day-to-day happenings. It is therefore, essential to address this area with some due diligence. The main point of attention in the living room is the sofa / couch. One can have any type of sofa, leather, fabric, velvety finish, love-seat, 3- seater, L-shaped, etc. the crux is that the sofa needs to be welcoming.
When I was putting together the pieces together for our living room, my first buy was the Sofa. I originally wanted a navy blue colored velvety finish sofa as it would have given an accent color and a deeper tone finish to the room. Most colors would have complimented the navy blue color. But there were some problems in inventory and therefore, we (my husband, Peeyush and I) decided to get a brown colored one. We went in for the velvety finish in the fabric of the sofa.
Now came the main task – ” How to make your Sofa look rich”. Rich here would imply warm and welcoming. I had to do the following:
Step1: Use (Aesthetically pleasing) Cushions
Cushions add color to the room as well as speak about your style. Here is what you need to keep in mind for decorating your sofa and what I kept in mind as well.
- Do not use the cushions that are of the same color or pattern as your sofa.
- Try and use a contrast color pattern when choosing cushions.
- You can opt in for ready to stack cushions or go the traditional way– buy the plain white cushions and then dress them up with cushion covers.
- Try and choose the colors similar in a color palette. For example- pink and oranges go together; whites, silvers, creams and black go together.
- Try and choose one dominant color when choosing cushions.
- Use the principle of odd numbers when deciding on the number of cushions on a sofa.
- Always remember : there are never enough cushions!
- You can also use a dominant pillow to grab the attention.
Step 2: Use a throw or a blanket
There are many stylish throws in the market. All you gotta do is to find one that matches your living room. It is key in selection of a throw, it should compliment your color scheme.
Step 3: Work on the background
If you are a more neutral toned lover, you can always work with the background.
- Hang in a huge artwork to grab attention.
- You can drape a boho-styled cloth to give a different dimension all together.
- Paint the main wall in deep-toned colors like deep reds and matte black.
And here’s a shot of how our sofa looks.
Hope this was helpful.